Innovative Leaders in the world of wood processing
Nelson Pine Industries is a wholly owned subsidiary of the Sumitomo Forestry Company Ltd of Tokyo, Japan. The Sumitomo Group was established in Japan in 1691, in the field of mineral exploration. The Sumitomo Forestry Company Ltd was formed in 1948 and is now one of Japan’s largest forestry based companies.
GoldenEdge MDF is recognised as the leading brand in New Zealand and in worldwide export markets. A parallel status is now developing in export markets for NelsonPine LVL, based on the same strategy of a consistent, high quality product delivered to key markets by reliable and frequent shipping services.
Nelson Pine Industries was established in 1984, as a manufacturing facility to add value to the Nelson region’s renewable resource of Pinus radiata plantation forests. Production of Medium Density Fibreboard (MDF) started in 1986, with a second line commissioned in 1991. The third line, commissioned in 1997, made Nelson Pine Industries one of the largest single site producers of Medium Density Fibreboard in the world.
In May 2000 the company announced plans for a NZ$80 million LVL plant at its Richmond site. Production from the veneer plant where logs are lathe peeled began in November 2001, followed in March 2002 with commissioning of the LVL plant where veneers are laminated by hot pressing into a beam form. Since then NelsonPine LVL has gained a niche in the construction sector in New Zealand and in offshore markets.
In the community
Nelson Pine Industries contributes social and economic benefits to the Nelson economy in a number of ways:
- The company provides direct employment for about 210 people involved in forestry, processing, administration and marketing. Typically for every one job generated in this sort of production sector, there are another four service-related jobs created in the community.
- The company’s operation results in approximately $220 million per year flowing into the local economy for materials, labour, electricity and services.
- MDF turns a low value wood residue into a valuable product.
- Use of MDF and LVL made from Pinus radiata sustainable production forests, in New Zealand and in our export markets, helps save the world’s remaining indigenous forests.
- Nelson Pine Industries is a strong ‘corporate citizen’, providing a number of sponsorships in arts and sports, and donating product for numerous local projects.